The Doug Wright Awards for Canadian Cartooning have introduced their nominees for 2021. Main the pack in nominations is Montreal-based writer Drawn & Quarterly, with 4 nominations in all, together with three books nominated within the Finest Ebook class.
The Doug Wright Awards have yearly taken place through the Toronto Comic Arts Festival (TCAF) weekend. This yr TCAF will probably be held in a digital format from Might 8 to fifteen.
On the Doug Wright Awards blog, they stated:
“This yr, 147 books by Canadian authors and artists had been submitted to the Doug Wright Awards, in 4 classes. Nominees and winners had been chosen by a panel of three judges per class. Books from greater than 30 publishers had been submitted, together with almost three dozen self-published works.”
For Giants of the North, Canadian Cartooning Corridor of Fame, since 2019, the class has inducted one dwelling and one deceased noteworthy member of the Canadian comics neighborhood. Due to COVID restrictions, the dwelling recipients of the induction each last year and this yr have been deferred till restrictions are lifted in order that they might be inducted in particular person. 2021’s deceased inductee into the Canadian Cartooning Corridor of Fame will probably be Mr. Monster creator Fred Kelly (1921-2005).
Take a look at the complete checklist of nominees beneath. Congratulations to all of this yr’s nominees. The winners of the seventeenth annual Doug Wright Awards will probably be introduced by way of a pre-recorded dwell stream on YouTube and Fb on Saturday Might 8, 2021. Don McKellar will host.
The Doug Wright Award for Finest Ebook
- Lonely Boys, by S. Bédard (Pow Pow Press)
- Acquainted Face, by Michael DeForge (Drawn & Quarterly)
Always, by GG (Koyama Press)
- Paul at Dwelling, by Michel Rabagliati (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Wendy, Grasp of Artwork, by Walter Scott (Drawn & Quarterly)
The Nipper: The Doug Wright Award for Rising Expertise
- Adam de Souza, A Gleaming No. 2 (Self-published)
- Kimberly Edgar, The Area In Between (Self-published)
- Courtney Loberg, We Don’t Go Via the Angelgrass I (Self-published)
- Veronica Submit, Langosh & Peppi: Fugitive Days (Conundrum Press)
- Shannon M. Reeves, Stressed Bones (Gytha Press)
The Pigskin Peters: The Doug Wright Award for Finest Small- or Micro-Press Ebook
- The Noiseless Din, by Scott Carruthers (Popnoir Editions)
- The Desecration, by Scott Carruthers and Sally McKay (Self-published)
- A Gleaming No. 2, by Adam de Souza (Self-published)
- The Area In Between, by Kimberly Edgar (Self-published)
- Awkward Pause, by Ryan Harby (Renegade Arts Leisure)
The Egghead: The Doug Wright Award for Finest Youngsters’ Ebook
- A Slug Story, by Mandi Kujawa, Hana Kujawa, Claude St. Aubin, and Lovern Kindzierski (Renegade Arts Leisure)
- The Little Ghost Who Was a Quilt, by Riel Nason and Byron Eggenschwiler (Tundra Books)
- Okay, Universe: Chronicles of a Lady in Politics, by Valérie Plante and Delphie Côté-Lacroix (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Grandmother Faculty, by Rina Singh and Ellen Rooney (Orca Ebook Publishers)
- Swift Fox All Alongside, by Rebecca Thomas and Maya McKibbin (Annick Press)